Talking To Mom About Leaving

Today was interesting.
I and my brother, John, had been hesitant about telling Mom about me leaving for Armenia.  Since she just turned 98, we were wondering if telling her I would be gone for two years might upset her too much.  So,  we had decided not to tell her.  I felt terrible about this decision.  I spent two weeks with her, watching  her watch Jeopardy and answer the questions before the contestants and fall asleep watching old movies and television shows.  We went out to some of her favorite restaurants and I ate with and her friends a few times.  I kept feeling like I should tell her.
I left Texas and went up to Washington D.C. to get some rest and study my new language.  I was talking to my friend , Joyce, who could not believe I had not told my Mom.  She said I was not giving Mom the respect she deserved.  She said Mom would be happy because I was doing something that was making me happy.  So, I wrote Mom a letter, she would not have understood enough on a phone call.  I asked Joyce to proof read it for me.  She suggested a sentence about how fast the time would go.
I sent the letter to my Mom in a card because I send her cards all the time.  Tonight, she got the card and we Skyped.  She said she was very happy for me and knew I would do good work for the Peace Corps but she was sad she might never see me again.  My brother reminded her that she had said she would not live long enough to pay off her new car.  That was in 2002.  I told her I would see her when she was 100.  She laughed and said she loved me and was proud of me.  I love you too Mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3

Arevik, Vahan and Marriage Customs in Armenia

Last Week's Business Meeting on 06/17/2018